Warm summer months call for Creamy Vegan Picnic Pasta Salad! Gluten-free al dente pasta, crunchy and colorful veggies, and a creamy vegan sauce make this an allergy-friendly spin on the traditional picnic favorite.
- 12 ounces short cut pasta (gluten-free if desired)*
- 1 batch homemade vegan sour cream; learn How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post! (or sub 1 1/4 cups store-bought vegan sour cream)
- 2.5 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, pressed through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, dill, tarragon, basil)
- 2 green onions, ends removed, diced
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow and/or orange), stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
Optional Additional Veggies
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced (use only if serving immediately)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup peeled and diced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped arugula
- Cook pasta according to package instructions (I like to add 1/2 tablespoon fine salt to the cooking water for best results). Strain and rinse the cooked pasta with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together vegan sour cream and vinegar, maple syrup, garlic and salt. Add herbs and whisk again.
- Add all the vegetables (green onions, bell peppers, onions and any other vegetables desired) to the mixing bowl with the combined sauce. Stir well to fully coat all the vegetables evenly. If you add more than two additional vegetables you might want to increase the sauce slightly.
- Add the cooked and fully cooled pasta to the mixing bowl and toss well to combine and evenly coat the pasta with the veggies and sauce. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days.
*I love to use Andean Dreams quinoa gluten-free pasta or Jovial brown rice gluten-free pasta.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Side Dish
Keywords: vegan pasta salad