Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta topped with Caramelized Onions is a restaurant-quality dish that's easy enough to make as a weeknight dinner!
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (about half a small butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon salt for boiling the butternut squash and pasta
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (learn all about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post)
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional: 1/4 cup caramelized onions (plus more for garnish)
- 8 ounces dry pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- Add water and 1 teaspoon salt to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Add the diced butternut squash to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until fork tender. Use a strainer to remove and place the cooked butternut squash in a high speed blender. Leave the water to boil the pasta.
- Add cooked butternut squash, cashews, water, maple syrup, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup caramelized onions (if using) to a high speed blender and blend on the highest speed until perfectly smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Pour immediately overtop cooked pasta.
- Garnish with more caramelized onions and serve immediately while hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. For leftovers, it is best to store sauce separate from pasta. If sauce is already mixed in reheat on the stovetop with 1/4 cup water for best results.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Blender
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta