These soft-baked gluten-free and vegan cookies are a classic in our household. They taste like the real deal and yet are refined sugar-free and full of whole grains, healthy fats and plant-based protein.
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup super-fine blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or vegan, soy-free butter, softened
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan and refined sugar free dark chocolate chips or chunks (plus more for topping)
- sprinkle of flaked sea salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place oats in a blender and blend until a fine flour forms. Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl along with the rest of the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda and salt) in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir to fully combine. Add the wet ingredients (melted coconut oil [or softened butter], maple syrup and vanilla extract) and combine using a hand mixer. Mix in the chunks of dark chocolate.
- Using a retractable cookie scoop, make 15-16 cookies (about 1.5 tablespoons in size each) and place on your prepared baking sheet. Add extra chocolate chips or chunks on top if desired. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Allow the cookies to cool directly on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to fully cool. They will harden as they cool so be sure to wait to handle them until they have fully cooled. Enjoy after they have fully cooled or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
* For best results I make my own oat flour in my high speed blender. To make your own oat flour, simply add 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats to a completely dry high-speed blender and process from low to high speed for 45-60 seconds until a fine flour forms. No whole oats should be visible.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan and gluten-free healthy chocolate chip cookie