This simple, creamy and savory Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is made without dairy and is sure to fill your kitchen with comforting aromas.
- medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- fine salt
- cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- dried thyme
- ground black pepper
- mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced or diced (baby bella, white button or any mix of your favorite varieties)
- filtered water
- Add oil to a 5.5-quart dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and salt and saute for 10-15 minutes until golden and slightly caramelized.
- Add minced garlic, thyme, pepper and saute another five minutes over low heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute over medium heat for 30 minutes until they release their juices and start to sear slightly. Stir occasionally.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cashew cream and stir well to fully incorporate.
- Serve hot. Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze for up to three months.
For added protein add a can of white beans, drained and rinsed.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup