This simple, creamy and savory Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is made without dairy and is sure to fill your kitchen with comforting aromas.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 5 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 24 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced or diced (baby bella, white button or any mix of your favorite varieties)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 batch of homemade cashew cream (1 cup soaked raw cashews + 1/2 cup filtered water + 1/4 teaspoon salt) - Learn more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post.
- Add oil to a 5.5-quart dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and salt and saute for 10-15 minutes until golden and slightly caramelized.
- Add minced garlic, thyme, pepper and saute another five minutes over low heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute over medium heat for 30 minutes until they release their juices and start to sear slightly. Stir occasionally.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cashew cream and stir well to fully incorporate.
- Serve hot. Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze for up to three months.
Measuring Spoons [use code ELAINE-10 for 10% off]Buy Now →
knife set (code ELAINE for 10% off)Buy Now →
For added protein add a can of white beans, drained and rinsed.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup