This simple, creamy, and savory Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is made without dairy or gluten! It's sure to fill your kitchen with the most comforting aromas, and it's the perfect soup to warm you up when you need it most.
The idea for this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup originally came while I was developing my Green Bean Casserole. Most traditional casseroles call for creamy soups, and I made a cashew cream/mushroom base as a non-dairy substitute! I sampled it before mixing it into the casserole and knew it would be a winner by itself. You can adjust the amount of water in the soup to control the thickness, and the fresh mushrooms and savory blend of spices makes it absolutely out of this world! Enjoy it with a side of Herb Roasted Root Vegetables, a Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad, or a couple Easy Almond Flour Crackers for dipping!
Ingredients in Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
A Homemade Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup might sound intimidating, but take a look at this ingredient list...it's actually really short! I am always so excited when a recipe that feels special and comforting comes together quickly and easily, and this one totally did just that.
- Onion - You can use either yellow or white onion in this dish. I like to dice the onion small so it distributes into every single bite!
- Garlic - I used five fresh garlic cloves for this recipe! I love how the garlic combines with the mushrooms for incredible, savory flavor. If you're a big garlic fan, try adding Roasted Garlic.
- Seasonings - With fresh garlic, onion, and mushrooms in this soup, I knew I wanted the seasonings to be simple and aromatic. I used just dried thyme, ground black pepper, and salt for the perfect flavor!
- Mushrooms - Since they're the star of the show, you won't be surprised that we're using a lot of mushrooms! Trim and quarter or slice 24 ounces of fresh mushrooms. Use any of your favorite mushroom varieties...you can even mix and match for more texture! I typically go with baby bella, white button or cremini mushrooms for this soup.
- Homemade Cashew Cream - This is the vegan secret sauce! Cashew Cream is how I add creamy, silky, thickened texture to my plant-based recipes.
Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
The creaminess of this Vegan Mushroom Soup comes from a batch of my Homemade Cashew Cream. This could not be easier to make! It's done by soaking cashews overnight (or with boiling water for my quick-soak method!), then blending them with filtered water until smooth. That's it! Learn more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post. If you're nut-free, don't worry...you can still make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup! Simply swap cashew cream for my Easy Sunflower Seed Sauce. Nut free and just as tasty!
All About Mushrooms
Did you know mushrooms aren't even veggies, but technically fungi?! Mushrooms are low in calories and sodium and contain no fat or cholesterol. They're high in dietary fiber, B vitamins and riboflavin. They are also a good source of niacin, copper, selenium, potassium and pantothenate. I recently learned that mushrooms also soak up vitamin D when exposed to sunlight, just like humans do. (source) Mind blowing! Look for firm, well-shaped mushrooms that do not have any spots or slime on them. According to the Produce for Better Health Foundation, you can store mushrooms in your refrigerator in their original container or paper bag for up to one week...but I always have the best results with fresh mushrooms, so I try to use them within a day or two!
This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is savory, comforting, flavorful, and so creamy...all while being vegan (no meat, eggs, or dairy!), gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and soy-free. It's a super nutritious dish that everyone can enjoy! I hope you make it and tag me on Instagram so I can see your delicious bowl of soup. You can also leave a review below to help anyone else who may want to try this recipe! Finally, sign up for my newsletter to receive easy, delicious, and nutritious plant-based recipes right to your inbox. Enjoy!
More Mushroom Recipes
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Mushroom Fettuccini
- Easy Restaurant-Style Sauteed Mushrooms
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto
- Vegan Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Zoodles
- Red Wine Spaghetti with Mushrooms and Parsley Pesto
- Garlic & Chive Roasted Vegetables
- Quinoa Stuffing
- Vegan Mushroom-Walnut Balls
- Mushroom & Walnut Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
This simple, creamy and savory Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is made without dairy and is sure to fill your kitchen with comforting aromas.
- medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- fine salt
- cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- dried thyme
- ground black pepper
- mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced or diced (baby bella, white button or any mix of your favorite varieties)
- filtered water
- Add oil to a 5.5-quart dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and salt and saute for 10-15 minutes until golden and slightly caramelized.
- Add minced garlic, thyme, pepper and saute another five minutes over low heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute over medium heat for 30 minutes until they release their juices and start to sear slightly. Stir occasionally.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cashew cream and stir well to fully incorporate.
- Serve hot. Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze for up to three months.
For added protein add a can of white beans, drained and rinsed.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup