Watermelon, avocado, pine nuts, red onion, quinoa, arugula and mint all conveniently layered in a wide-mouth mason jar with a simple homemade balsamic dressing – portable and perfect to make ahead to take to work, school, the beach, park or anywhere you want a delicious meal on the go!
- FOR THE SIMPLE BALSAMIC DRESSING:
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- FOR THE MASON JAR SALAD:
- 1.5 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 of one large avocado or 1 entire small avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (How to Make Perfectly Cooked Quinoa)
- 2 large handfuls baby arugula
- 8 large mint leaves, chopped
- In a small bowl whisk to combine the dressing ingredients well. Pour into one large, wide mouth quart sized mason jar
- Layer the ingredients from bottom to top in this order: watermelon first (on bottom), avocado, red onion, pine nuts, quinoa, arugula and mint. Cover with lid.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat (lasts up to 4 days). Just before eating, shake well to toss then pour onto a plate or bowl.
Before slicing into your watermelon be sure to wash the outside well with running water. Otherwise, your knife will carry germs or bacteria from the outside to the inside of the watermelon.
This recipe makes a huge entree salad that is quite filling. You could divide into two portions if you plan to serve it with other things.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Lunch