This vegan walnut taco meat has the best texture and flavor. It is seasoned to perfection and full of nutrients from the walnuts. This easy dish is great for taco night, nachos, or anytime you need a plant-based, pantry-friendly version of taco meat.
- 2 cups raw unsalted chopped walnuts, soaked*
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 batch Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- Soak the walnuts in boiling water for one hour. Drain, rinse well and add to a 7-cup food processor. Pulse the walnuts 10-20 times until desired texture is reached. You don't want any large chunks but you don't want to process it so long that it becomes mushy. I look for a uniform crumbly texture with tiny crumbles. Set aside.
- Preheat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat on your stovetop. Add oil and the walnut crumbles from the food processor. Add all the seasonings and stir well to distribute evenly. Sauté the seasoned crumbled walnuts over medium heat until toasted golden brown, warmed through and fragrant (about 7 minutes). Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon while sautéing to ensure all sides of the walnut crumbles get evenly toasted. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Enjoy immediately or store leftovers after it has fully cooled to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat leftovers on the stovetop for best results.
You can use walnut halves in this recipe instead of chopped. I just found it easier to use chopped walnuts.
If serving to children or if you are sensitive to spicy foods you may want to use less chili powder.
Recipe time does not include time for the walnuts to soak. You can make this dish without soaking but if you do I recommend sautéing the walnuts on the stovetop for longer. The final result will be good but not as "meat-like." The soaking really helps to soften up the walnuts. You can soak the walnuts in water overnight if desired. I like to use the quick soak method in the directions using boiling water for one hour. You can leave them soaking for longer if desired.
- Prep Time: 3
- Cook Time: 7
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan taco meat