This ultra-creamy homemade Vegan Tzatziki Sauce is so quick and easy to make and has the perfect amount of tang and freshness. All you need is cashews, lemon, cucumber, apple cider vinegar, fresh dill and garlic. Everything goes in your blender and out comes homemade tzatziki sauce that you wouldn’t believe is completely dairy-free. Serve this versatile sauce with falafel or any Mediterranean dish. I also like to use it as a salad dressing or a dip for my favorite raw vegetables.
- 1 cup raw cashews*
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 large juicy lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, large stems removed
- Place cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper in a high speed blender and blend on the highest speed for 45 seconds. Scrape down the sides with a mini spatula and blend again for 15 seconds.
- Hand grate the cucumber on the large side of a box grater. Squeeze the juices out with a cloth or paper towel. Add the grated cucumber to the blender along with the fresh dill. Pulse a couple times to incorporate. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking.
- Transfer to an airtight container and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours to thicken up. You can use the tzatziki right away but it will be slightly warm from blending and it will have a thinner consistency than if you let it thicken up in the refrigerator.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
*If you have a high-speed blender you do not need to soak your cashews. I didn’t soak mine at all and it was still super creamy. Some people do like to soak their cashews to make them more easily digestible and to make the nutrients more available. You can soak in water overnight or do a quick soak using boiling water for an hour or two. Drain and rinse before using in this recipe.
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: vegan tzatziki sauce