Use the best homemade blend of spices to season bell peppers, red onion, cauliflower, and chickpeas for Vegan Sheet Pan Shawarma Bowls!
- Homemade Shawarma Spice Mix (see notes)
- 1 small head of cauliflower, leaves removed and stem trimmed, then cut into small florets
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seed removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1, 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and dried well
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (Instant Pot Method or Stovetop Method) [or substitute cooked white Basmati rice, Lebanese rice or brown rice]
- Vegan Tzatziki Sauce
- Homemade Hummus
- Easy Creamy Vegan Tahini Sauce
- Optional Garnishes: fresh Italian flat leaf parsley (minced), vegan feta cheese (crumbled), raw cherry or grape tomatoes (halved), chopped English cucumber, raw sliced red onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the Shawarma Spice Mix and set aside.
- Start the quinoa (or rice) in your Instant Pot, rice maker or on the stovetop depending on which method you are using. You can also purchase frozen quinoa or frozen rice and microwave just before serving.
- Place cauliflower florets, sliced bell pepper, sliced red onion and dried chickpeas on a half sheet baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, maple syrup and sprinkle the spice mixture overtop. Toss well using two spoons to fully and evenly coat all the sheet pan ingredients. Spread everything into one even layer and avoid overlapping where possible.
- Place the sheet pan on a middle rack of the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and use tongs to toss everything well to ensure even cooking on all side. Cook another 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Serve the sheet pan meal hot overtop the cooked quinoa or rice. Serve with hummus, tzatziki sauce, tahini sauce, fresh parsley and/or vegan feta cheese. You can also serve with tomatoes, cucumbers and/or red onion.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Homemade Shawarma Spice Mix (whisk the spices together well):
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
This recipe is adapted from Inspiralized.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
Keywords: vegan sheet pan shawarma bowls