This One-Pot Vegan Moroccan Soup recipe is spicy, sweet, savory, comforting, and nourishing all at the same time. Plus it is SO easy and quick to make! The only hands on time needed is for chopping the onions, carrots and celery and it cooks in 20 minutes. This recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegan and allergy-friendly (no soy, nuts, dairy or eggs), as well as grain-free and sugar-free.
Cozy up and get ready to make your kitchen smell amazing with this simple and speedy soup recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Ras-El-Hanout Spice Blend (you can purchase this spice blend or make it yourself - see recipe in notes below)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1, 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1, 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well (or substitute lentils, rice, quinoa or other beans - cooking time my vary depending on what you use)
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- For serving: 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and fresh cilantro leaves as desired
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until they are fragrant (about a minute). Be sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the ras-el-hanout spice blend and tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add more oil to the pot if things look too dry and cook for a minute more.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans and vegetable broth and stir. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh lemon juice and fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Ras-El-Hanout Spice Blend:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Whisk together all ingredients until combined well.
This recipe uses two tablespoons of this spice blend. You can save the rest for another dish. Spice blends keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature for up to one month.
- Prep Time: 8
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: vegan Moroccan soup