These vegan and gluten-free blueberry crumble bars are sweet enough to be dessert but healthy enough for breakfast or a snack. They have a sweet juicy blueberry center surrounded by the perfect crumbly crust. These bars are easy to make and refined sugar-free. They can be made with fresh blueberries when in season or frozen blueberries year-round!
For the crust/crumble:
- 1.5 cups super-fine blanched almond flour
- 1.5 cups quick cooking gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the blueberry filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the crust/crumble: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Transfer 2/3 of the mixture to the parchment paper-lined baking pan. Place another piece of parchment paper overtop and use the bottom of a glass to press down into one even layer that coats the entire bottom of the pan. Place the remaining 1/3 of the mixture in the refrigerator (this will be the crumble topping).
- Prepare the filling: Add fresh or frozen blueberries to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the blueberries (you can leave some whole for texture). Stir in the maple syrup, arrowroot powder and salt. Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes until it thickens. Pour the mixture overtop the crust and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread into an even layer. Then, use your fingers to sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture overtop the blueberry layer.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes until the crumble is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool. I highly recommend placing the pan in your freezer to speed up the process (this also makes slicing easier and less messy). When ready to enjoy remove from the freezer, slice into 16 bars with a sharp knife and serve at room temperature. Store fully cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or the freezer for up to two months.
Let the blueberry crumble bars cool completely before slicing them (otherwise the filling will ooze out).
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Method: Stovetop and Oven Baked
Keywords: vegan gluten-free blueberry crumble bars