These Vegan Coconut Macaroons are light, fluffy, moist, perfectly sweet and full of coconut flavor with just the right amount of chocolate. They are super simple to make: just mix the ingredients together, scoop into mounds on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Dip them in chocolate, drizzle more chocolate on top and let them set in the fridge. Absolutely delicious and they really couldn’t be easier!
For the macaroons
- 2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut (not flaked)
- 1/3 cup blanched super fine almond flour (not almond meal)
- pinch of fine salt
- 5 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed half sheet baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together the shredded coconut, almond flour and salt. Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Use a 1.5 tablespoon retractable cookie scoop to create mounds of the coconut mixture. Pack the mixture in well for best results. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Use your hands to reform the mounds if they start to fall apart. Bake for 8 minutes until edges are just starting to become golden brown.
- Let them cool fully at room temperature before dipping in the chocolate. For quicker results, stick them in your freezer to chill before dipping.
- While the macaroons cool, make your chocolate following the recipe I linked or using the method below in the notes section if you plan to use packaged chocolate chips.
- Once the macaroons have fully cooled and hardened, dip the bottoms in the melted chocolate. Place on a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Use a fork or spoon to drizzle more chocolate overtop if desired. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Allow the chocolate to set before serving.
- If making in advance you can store in an airtight container in your freezer or refrigerator. Allow them to come back to room temperature before enjoying.
*If you don’t want to make homemade chocolate, you can also melt vegan dark chocolate chips in the microwave with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or avocado oil. I typically microwave for 1 minute, stir and then microwave for another minute. You can also create a double boiler by bringing 2 inches of water to a rolling boil on your stovetop and placing a larger glass bowl overtop the saucepan. Add the chocolate and oil to the bowl and stir regularly until fully melted. Hu chocolate gems work well here if you want to keep it refined sugar-free.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
Keywords: Vegan Coconut Macaroons