Elevate your hamantaschen to the next level using vegan chocolate chip cookie dough and a velvety vegan chocolate filling. This original recipe is a total crowdpleaser for both kids and adults alike, and these cookies are always the first to disappear during Purim when served alongside traditional hamantaschen. These are naturally gluten-free as well!
For the dough:
- 1 cup super-fine blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegan, soy-free butter, slightly softened (I love Miyoko vegan butter or you can sub coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan and refined sugar-free dark chocolate chips
For the filling:
- Homemade Nutella or chocolate tahini
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. If using homemade Nutella as the filling, prepare this first following these instructions.
- Add the dry ingredients (almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt) to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk to fully combine.
- Add the wet ingredients (softened butter or coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract) and combine using a hand mixer.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Freeze the dough for 3 minutes before rolling. This is important so that the cookies retain their shape when folding.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper both underneath and above the dough and use a rolling pin to flatten it until it is about 1/4 inch thick. I like to keep the dough on the thicker side to make it easier to work with when folding.
- Use a circle cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut the dough into circles.
- Place the circles of dough onto a baking sheet. Add a teaspoon of filling (homemade Nutella or chocolate tahini) on top of each cookie, then pinch or fold in the edges to form a triangle. Do not overfill the cookies as they will overflow when baking.
- Place the entire baking sheet into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to ensure that the hamantaschen hold their shape.
- Bake the hamantaschen cookies for 8 minutes.
- Drizzle melted chocolate overtop the cookies (optional).
- Transfer the baking sheet directly to the freezer for 10 minutes or allow them to cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes) to ensure that the cookies retain their shape.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: vegan hamantaschen