Easy, flavorful, 8-ingredient chickpea bolognese over spaghetti squash! A nutritious, speedy, satisfying plant-based dinner.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved crosswise, seeds and stem removed*
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 1, 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Place spaghetti squash in the steamer basket or rack of your pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water beneath the steamer basket. Close the lid, turn the valve to sealed and manual cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, saute shallots in oil, salt and pepper over medium-low heat until translucent and fragrant (about 3 minutes). Add in garlic and saute for another minute. Add in the chickpeas and gently mash half of them with a potato masher (this creates a varied texture and is not required but is recommended). Stir everything together and saute for another minute. Pour in the marinara sauce and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- When the squash is finished in your pressure cooker press OFF and manual release. Safely remove the lid to allow the squash to cool before handling. Use a fork to gently shred each half of the squash until thin translucent spaghetti-like strands appear. Place the squash in two bowls. Top with a generous amount of the chickpea bolognese and garnish with more fresh parsley or basil. Enjoy hot! Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days.
* My spaghetti squash was just shy of 3 pounds.
When you cut the spaghetti squash crosswise as opposed to lengthwise, it yields longer spaghetti-like strands.
Other add-in ideas: basil, sliced mushrooms, hemp seeds for added protein.
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart Instant Pot. I have not tested it in other pressure cookers.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian