This Vegan Apple Arugula Salad with Walnuts & Dates is like fall in a bowl! It has sweet, chewy, sticky Medjool dates paired with peppery arugula, crunchy apples, and decadent homemade candied walnuts. Make it for a nutritious lunch or as a weeknight dinner and enjoy this delightful blend of harvest flavors!
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnut pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
Maple Apple Cider Dressing
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 sweet red apple, stem and core removed, sliced or chopped
- 1 green apple, stem and core removed, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup when sliced)
- 2 pitted Medjool dates, diced (soft dates work best)
- 1/3 cup vegan feta cheese (I like VioLife brand from Sprouts or Whole Foods)
- maple syrup and salt in a small mixing bowl and stir to coat evenly. Place on a small baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread the walnut pieces out so they are not touching. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the walnuts, avocado oil,
- maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper in a mini food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Set side. While the candied walnuts cook, prepare the vinaigrette. Place oil, vinegar,
- Prepare the salad: Place all salad ingredients (arugula, apples, onions, dates and feta) in a large mixing bowl. Add the warm candied walnuts overtop. Just before serving, toss the salad with the dressing.
- Divide between two plates for an entree salad or four salad plates for an appetizer salad. Enjoy immediately while the salad ingredients are cold and the walnuts are still warm.
For best results use apples that are chilled and dates that are soft (new packages work best here).
This recipe makes two entree salads or four side salads.
- Category: Salad
Keywords: apple date walnut salad