This sweet and creamy plant-based soup is perfect for adults or children. You can make it on the stovetop or in your Instant Pot. Store leftovers (once cooled) in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 4-5 days. This soup freezes nicely too. Just be sure to leave a half an inch or so for expansion once frozen.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth*
- 1 pound peeled baby carrots
- 3 tablespoons raw, unsalted slivered almonds (not sliced or whole almonds)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- Garnish with a drizzle of homemade almond cream if desired**
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add olive oil, shallots, salt and pepper and cook on medium heat stirring often, until shallots are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic during the last minute if using.
- Add broth, carrots and slivered almonds. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool. Transfer to a high speed blender with the maple syrup if using and puree until smooth and creamy on the soup setting. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of homemade almond cream.*
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add oil, shallot, salt and pepper to your Instant Pot and press Saute. Cook until shallots are fragrant and translucent (about 3-5 minutes). Stir often throughout the saute process to avoid browning. Add the garlic (if using) during the last minute of cooking.
- Add broth, carrots and slivered almonds. Cover and cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Turn off then immediately manual release.
- Transfer to a blender, add the maple syrup if using and puree until smooth (I use the soup setting on my high speed blender). Alternatively you can use an immersion blender and puree it right in the Instant Pot. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of homemade almond cream if desired.*
*For a thicker soup reduce the broth to 3 cups instead of 4 cups. This is good if serving to little ones so it doesn't get as messy.
**To make the homemade almond cream, blend ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons slivered (not sliced or whole) almonds with 1/4 cup filtered water in a high speed blender on the juice setting (stop and scrape down the sides as needed). For a thinner consistency add more water. For a thicker consistency add more slivered almonds 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Category: Soup