This vegan hot chocolate is the perfect healthier treat to warm you up this winter and satisfy your chocolate fix. It is sweetened naturally and refined sugar-free/paleo-friendly. The blender is wonderful for keeping this recipe super simple and clump free. The result is ultra rich and creamy with just the push of a button. It is full of wholesome ingredients so you can feel good about every sip!
- 2.5 cups boiling water*
- 6 soft pitted Medjool dates (or 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup)**
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds (or raw cashews) OR 1 tablespoon raw creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (or cacao powder)***
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt (to bring out all the flavors)
Optional Flavor Enhancers (choose one):
- fresh mint leaves or a drop of peppermint extract
- ground cinnamon
Optional Superfood Boosters (you won't notice it):
- 1-2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Homemade coconut whipped cream
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Dusting of cocoa or cacao powder
- Vegan, gluten-free marshmallows
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth (about 40 seconds on the highest speed setting).
- Taste and adjust sweetness if desired. You can also add a drop of peppermint extract (or a couple fresh mint leaves) OR a pinch of cinnamon for a fun flavor twist.
- Pour into two mugs and serve piping hot. Garnish with homemade coconut whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.
* I use my stainless steel electric tea kettle to boil the water. For an even creamier hot chocolate you can warm up your favorite plant-based milk and use that instead. You can warm on the stovetop in a pot or in the microwave.
**The dates will make the hot cocoa thicker and give it a nice caramel flavor. If you substitute with maple syrup just know it will have a slightly thinner consistency. It is delicious either way - I just know not everyone always has dates on hand and maple syrup most definitely works here.
*** It is important to use a good quality cocoa powder. My favorite unsweetened cocoa powder is Whole Foods 365 brand. It is organic and fair-trade. It has a rich, deep dark brown color which indicates a strong chocolate flavor. Whenever I use anything else my kids notice the difference and don't like it as much. Same with me!
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 3
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan hot chocolate, paleo hot chocolate, Vitamix hot chocolate, Vitamix hot cocoa