Liven up your can of garbanzo beans with this Sweet and Spiced Roasted Chickpeas recipe. It is super simple to make and full of so much crispy delicious flavor. Grab a handful for a nutrient-rich snack or use them on top of your salads, grain bowls or soups for added texture.
- 1 (15 ounce) can of garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other neutral tasting oil - not olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (not regular paprika)
- Garnish with chopped parsley and flaky sea salt if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a fine mesh strainer, rinse the chickpeas. Use a kitchen towel while the chickpeas are still in the fine mesh strainer and thoroughly dry the chickpeas. While drying the skins will naturally fall off as you gently press the chickpeas into the strainer using the kitchen towel. This is good as the skin would otherwise lock in the moisture and the chickpeas would get soggy while roasted.
- Place dried and skinned chickpeas in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and toss with avocado oil and maple syrup.
- Once evenly coated, bake for 35 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with spices. Enjoy immediately. Best when fresh. You can store and enjoy later but they will start to lose their crispiness after a couple of hours. Best served warm.
- This recipe also works with just garbanzo beans, oil and salt if you want to make a kid-friendly version or don't like spices. You can also switch up the spices and find your own favorite combination. This spice combination is my current obsession though and I highly recommend it.
- I like the flavor best on a cast iron skillet for that perfect golden brown sear and tons of flavor, but a bare rimmed baking sheet brushed with oil will work in a pinch!
- Prep Time: 3
- Cook Time: 29
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
Keywords: spiced roasted chickpeas