There are just three ingredients (and two of them are water and salt!) in this Sunflower Seed Cream Sauce. It's a nut-free, vegan recipe to add a luscious, creamy texture to any recipe! Simply soak, blend, and enjoy.
- 1 cup raw sunflower seed kernels
- 2 cups filtered water for soaking (this will be discarded)
- 1.5 cups filtered water for blending
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- IN ADVANCE: Place raw sunflower seeds in a large mason jar and cover with double the amount of filtered water. Seal tightly with the lid and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours (or overnight). If you are rushed you can soak in boiling hot water for 1 hour. Overnight is best for the creamiest results.
- Once soaking is complete, drain and rinse the sunflower seeds well. Place the rinsed sunflower seeds in a high-speed blender with 1.5 cups fresh filtered water. Add salt and blend on the highest speed for 1 minute until perfectly smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and blend again if needed. If it is too gritty/too thick add another 1/4 cup water and blend again until smooth and creamy. At this point the sauce will be very warm from blending. Either use immediately or pour into an airtight container and store in your refrigerator for up to five days (after that look and smell for normal signs of spoilage).
- To use, stir into marinara sauce to make a creamy marinara pasta sauce. Use in place of cream in soups and stews. It will have a slight flavor from the sunflower seeds but when combined with flavorful sauces and meals you won't notice it at all.
Glass Mason Storage Jars (32 ounces)Buy Now →
glass storage containers with lid - smallBuy Now →
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Sauce/Condiment
- Method: Blender
Keywords: vegan nut-free cream sauce