These simple restaurant-style sautéed mushrooms are quartered white button mushrooms cooked in olive oil, salt and pepper until caramelized and tender. This is an easy side dish that cooks in just 20 minutes. It is perfect for busy weeknights or as a holiday side dish.
- 1 pound (16 ounces) large white button mushrooms, washed, dried and quartered
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley or chives
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes. At first it will appear dry but do not add more liquid. The mushrooms will start to release their natural juices. You will know the mushrooms are done when all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are seared and caramelized.
- Serve hot with fresh parsley or chives as garnish if desired.
- Store leftovers once completely cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat on the stovetop for best results.
Flavor variations - This is a basic recipe, but you can absolutely add other flavors to customize your mushrooms to your preferences.
- Garlic lover? You can most definitely add garlic powder and/or fresh garlic if desired. If you do I recommend starting with 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 garlic clove, minced. If adding fresh garlic, I recommend adding toward the end of the cooking time so it doesn't burn.
- Want some heat? Add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- Want some creaminess? Add a couple splashes of homemade cashew milk or cashew cream toward the end and simmer to thicken.
- Want even more flavor? Add 1 thinly sliced shallot when you put the mushrooms in the pan to cook.
Washing Your Mushrooms:
- Do not overly soak your mushrooms during the washing process. Just rinse them briefly and then immediately pat dry.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: simple sauteed mushrooms