Gorgeous herb roasted root vegetables tossed with fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil. This easy herb roasted root vegetable recipe includes tender beets, rutabaga, turnips, carrots, parsnips, yams, carrots, fingerling potatoes and red onions for a colorful and delicious, healthy side dish.
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes (about 15 multicolor potatoes), quartered (or cut into roughly 1-inch cubes)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion (mine weighed 14 ounces), peeled and quartered
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces*
- 1 turnip, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes (mine was 3/4 pound)
- 4 small beets (about 1/2 pound), scrubbed and tops trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press or minced
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped, plus several whole sprigs for garnish.
- Optional: You could also top with additional fresh herbs such as sage, parsley or thyme.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line two large baking sheets with non-bleach parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss all the vegetables with olive oil, garlic and salt. Season generously with pepper.
- Divide the vegetables evenly between the two pans, spreading them out into one even layer with space in between each piece to avoid steaming.
- Roast the vegetables uncovered until tender and golden brown, stirring once half way through, about 45 minutes.
- Top with fresh herbs for garnish. Serve warm.
*Some very large parsnips have a pithy core, which should be trimmed before cooking.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roast vegetable salad, roasted vegetables with fresh herbs, vegan roast vegetables, the best roast vegetables