Roasted Green Cabbage with Green Tahini Sauce is an easy recipe for incorporating cabbage in a flavorful way! The cabbage leaves get a roasted, crunchy outside with a soft and tender inside. It's perfectly seasoned and so filling! Enjoy it this St. Patrick's Day...or any time you want a delicious veggie side!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 12-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Next, prepare the cabbage. Wash and dry, remove just the outer layer of leaves ("wrapper leaves") and slightly trim the stem leaving the core intact. Cut into quarter wedges lengthwise.
- Place the cabbage in the skillet and coat generously with olive oil on all outer sides using a silicone brush. Sprinkle on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil and cook covered for 40 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven, remove the aluminum foil using tongs (or two forks) gently flip each cabbage quarter onto a different side. Roast uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven again and use tongs to rotate each quarter of cabbage again (so that all three sides have a chance to be face down in the skillet which allows them to brown evenly). Roast uncovered for another 10-15 minutes watching closely at the end to avoid any burnt spots.
- Check for doneness by sliding a knife into the thickest part of the cabbage near the core. It should slide in and out effortlessly. If it does not return to the oven for another 10 minutes uncovered. Cooking time will vary based on your oven and the size of your cabbage. You do not want any part of the cabbage to be crunchy. It should be soft and tender throughout.
- Serve immediately with Herbed Tahini Sauce or Green Tahini Sauce drizzled overtop (or the sauce can be served on the side). Store leftover roasted cabbage in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days (once it has fully cooled to room temperature). Reheat leftovers in a lightly oiled cast iron skillet at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until heated through. Store the sauce separately.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 75 mins
- Category: Side Dish