This easy and nutritious side dish stands up well when made in advance or when sitting out for long periods of time. The sprouts don't get soggy like lettuce does when dressed. This recipe uses just olive oil and lemon as the dressing and lets the flavors of the other ingredients really shine. It is light and refreshing but also crunchy, chewy and satisfying.
- 5 cups raw brussels sprouts, shredded*
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 juicy lemons, juiced**
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion (or substitute shallots or green onions)
- 1/2 cup unsalted sliced almonds (you could also sub chopped candied walnuts)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Optional: drizzle of balsamic glaze and sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese***
- Place shredded brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl and stir in olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper. Stir in the diced red onions, almonds and dried cranberries.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. Stir well, taste and adjust as needed. You may want to add more olive oil to better coat the sprouts and for more of a fruity flavor. Sometimes I add more dried cranberries or almonds too.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze if desired (I buy mine from Trader Joes). You can also sprinkle a couple tablespoons of vegan parmesan cheese on top as well (recipe in notes below).
- If making in advance store in an airtight container for up to three days. This salad will not get soggy like lettuce does once the dressing has been added.
*To shred your brussels sprouts, trim the end and cut in half lengthwise. Process them in two separate batches so you do not overcrowd your food processor. To process each batch pulse the sprouts a couple times until they reach your desired shredded consistency. You want to avoid over-processing and turning it into a "rice" like consistency. You also want to make sure you process enough so no large chunks remain. It really comes down to your personal preference in terms of how processed you want them to be.
** Start with one lemon and taste the salad after all ingredients have been added before adding the second lemon.
***To make a batch of my favorite easy vegan parmesan simply whisk these three ingredients together:
¾ cup almond flour (super fine from blanched whole almonds)
5 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
I like to add 3-4 tablespoons of this to this recipe and save the rest for later.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish