These nutritious dessert bars are easy to make and never last long. They are loaded with plant-based protein and contain whole grains. They hold together incredibly well even though they are egg-free. Each bite is incredibly moist and satisfying.
- 1/2 cup oats (use certified gluten-free oats if desired)
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw, creamy almond butter (or unsweetened, unsalted sunflower seed butter if nut-free)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegan mini chocolate chips plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 inch pan with avocado oil or any vegetable oil.
- Place oats in food processor and blend for one minute until a fine flour forms.
- Add almond flour, chickpeas, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt and baking powder and blend for 30 seconds. Use a mini spatula to scrape down the edges and blend again for another 30 seconds.
- Place the batter in your prepared baking pan and mix in 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Spread out to an even layer and top with 2 additional tablespoons of chocolate chips for presentation.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and set in the pan for 20-30 minutes before slicing. Slice into 9 large (or 12 small) squares. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can serve chilled or warm.
* For best results, I use super fine almond flour from blanched almonds. For a nut-free version you can replace with additional oat flour.
- Category: Dessert