This No-Churn Vegan Chocolate Banana Ice Cream is naturally sweet, smooth and creamy with the perfect amount of chocolate flavor to satisfy your cravings. Simply blend frozen bananas in your blender using a tamper and then flavor with unsweetened cocoa powder (or cacao powder), vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. This instant 4-ingredient dessert is nutritious, kid-friendly, easy to make, perfect for hot weather days and mega delicious.
- Peel the bananas and slice them into 1 inch chunks. Lay the slices in one even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet that can fit in your freezer. The banana slices should not be touching. Freeze for 8 hours. After 8 hours you can leave as is or consolidate the banana slices into a sealable silicone container in your freezer (to save space in your freezer).
- Once the banana slices are frozen solid you can make the banana ice cream. Add the frozen banana slices to a high speed blender and place the lid on. Insert the tamper/plunger into the lid and blend on low to medium speed. Use the plunger/tamper to push the banana slices into the blades. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender if your plunger cannot reach the sides. Once it starts to get creamy you can increase the speed of the blender. Continue with this until the entire batch is smooth and creamy.
- At this point you can add your flavor enhancers. Add cocoa powder, dates, vanilla and salt and blend again until fully incorporated. Taste and blend in more dates if you want a sweeter banana ice cream. If your bananas are underripe the dates are helpful since the bananas themselves will not be as sweet. You can also blend in tahini or almond butter for added flavor. See notes.
- Enjoy immediately as soft serve ice cream. Or, for scoop-able ice cream, transfer the mixture to an 8 x 4 load pan and freeze for four hours. Once frozen you can scoop and serve. Top with vegan refined sugar-free chocolate gems, melted vegan refined sugar-free chocolate, almond butter drizzle, unsweetened coconut flakes, crushed freeze fried berries, fresh berries/cherries, dye-free sprinkles and/or coconut whipped cream.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Thaw at room temperature before scooping.
*I like to sometimes also add tahini or almond butter for a nutty twist. The flavor pairs well with the chocolate and dates (which have a caramel flavor).
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Method: Freezer + Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate Banana Ice Cream