These fudgy protein amanrath bites are perfect for your sweet tooth cravings and they're filled with plant-based protein and satisfying flavor.
- 1 cup popped amaranth
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I love Whole Foods 365 brand for the best flavor)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw creamy almond butter (or any nut or seed butter)*
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- optional: add a scoop of your favorite unsweetened, unflavored protein powder [use code ELAINE20 for 20% off for my favorite]
- Add all ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Use a 1.5-in. cookie scoop to scoop into balls. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and place the scooped balls onto the parchment paper so they are not touching. You can roll them into balls with your hands if you prefer them to be smooth or you can leave them more rustic (as pictured) and just scoop them directly from the cookie scoop onto the baking sheet. It should make 9-10 energy bites. Place the baking sheet into your freezer and freeze until solid and enjoy straight from the freezer. You can thaw out for a couple minutes before enjoying for a softer bite. Energy bites will "melt" at room temperature after about 20 minutes.
- Once the energy bites are frozen solid, consolidate them into an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
* Be sure your nut or seed butter is runny and not hardened. If it is a new jar, stir well to fully incorporate the oils. My favorite is raw creamy unsalted almond butter from Trader Joe's.
Pro Tip: sprinkle flaky sea salt on top for that salty, sweet chocolate combo that never disappoints!
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Snack
- Method: Freezer
Keywords: protein amaranth bites