Once you know How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds, you’ll be making them all season long. This recipe has the perfect salty-sweet balance for a snack that you’ll keep coming back to again and again.
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (not pepita seeds)
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut a pie pumpkin (also known as a sugar pumpkin) in half. You can also use a carving pumpkin which will yield even more seeds. Use a spoon to scoop the seeds out of the center of the pumpkin. Place the seeds and any flesh attached to the seeds in a big bowl of water. The seeds will float to the top and the stringy pumpkin flesh will sink. Use your hands to manually separate the seeds that are stuck to the pumpkin flesh (while submerged in the bowl of water). Once all the seeds have been separated and are floating at the top, use a handheld pasta strainer or ladle to scoop the seeds out onto a dry towel. Spread them out into one even layer and allow them to completely dry out. Place another dish towel overtop to remove all moisture and rub them dry. Some pumpkin seeds may stick to the towel so you might have to remove them with your hands.
- Once the seeds are dry, place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Add the maple sugar, oil and salt. Use two spoons to toss the seeds well until they are evenly coated with the sugar, oil and salt.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 10-15 minutes (until golden brown) tossing halfway.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle more salt overtop just before serving. Enjoy while warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
Keywords: maple roasted pumpkin seeds