1 cup dried chickpeas, sorted to remove debris and stones
~3 cups water
pinch of salt
- Soak the chickpeas if desired (see notes for how to soak).
- Add the chickpeas, water and salt to a pot.
- Bring the water to a boil and then simmer while covered for 90-100 minutes until tender.
- Add the dried chickpeas, water and salt to the Instant Pot. Use enough water to cover the chickpeas by 2-3 inches.
- Cook for 60 minutes using manual high pressure with the valve sealed, then manually release. If the chickpeas were soaked in advance, cook for 50 minutes rather than 60 minutes.
Soaking Instructions (optional): Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover them with water by 2-3 inches for at least 3 hours (or overnight). Chickpeas absorb water and expand so it is important to use enough water to allow for that. If looking for a faster, quick-soak method, boil the chickpeas for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow them to soak for one hour with the lid still on. See blog post above for my thoughts on soaking chickpeas prior to cooking.
- Cook Time: 60-100
Keywords: how to cook dried chickpeas