This homemade vegan ricotta cheese has the perfect tang and texture — just like the real thing! It’s creamy and slightly sweet, acting as an ideal flavor and nutrient boost to both savory and sweet recipes. It comes together quickly and easily. You might be surprised by how many ingredients you already have in your pantry. The fresh lemon juice and apple cider vinegar pack just the right amount of punch and are balanced by the touch of salt and creamy blended cashews.
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews (or raw blanched slivered almonds [not sliced almonds])
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (optional but I usually do it!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place nuts in a 4-cup measuring cup and cover with boiling water for one hour. Alternatively you can soak overnight. Learn more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post.
- When soaking is complete, drain and rinse the nuts and add to a food processor or blender. Add the water, lemon, garlic (if using) and salt and pulse until desired texture is achieved. I like it creamier so I tend to process on the longer side. Scrape down the sides during processing if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days.
Add your favorite herbs to make herby ricotta cheese. Chives, basil and/or parsley would work well here.
For even more tang double the lemon juice and add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Homemade Cheese
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: homemade vegan ricotta cheese recipe