This DIY easy homemade peppermint body scrub exfoliates and moisturizes all at once. Your skin will feel brand new and incredibly soft and luxurious. It is simple to make yourself with just two main ingredients that you likely have on hand already. It takes less than five minutes to make and is much less expensive than store-bought body scrubs. This body scrub makes a great holiday gift when given in cute little reusable glass jars.
- 4 cups Himalayan Pink Salt (or organic cane sugar)*
- 1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil (use refined for no coconut smell)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a glass mixing bowl with a metal spoon.
- Portion into glass jars with lids. Place a festive ribbon around the rim and add a gift tag with the ingredients and a message if desired. Store sealed at room temperature.
- To use: In a hot shower, scoop a tablespoon of the peppermint body scrub onto clean, wet hands with a clean spoon. Scrub all over your body. I love to focus on my hands, knees, tops of feet, chest and legs. Gently scrub it in in a circular motion using more body scrub as needed. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and gently pat dry. Your skin should feel incredibly smooth and soft. The coconut oil helps to moisturize your skin while the salt (or sugar) exfoliates your skin. The peppermint essential oil is mostly just a lovely scent but it does help to reinvigorate you as you smell it!
- TIP: Do not allow moisture to get into the body scrub. Always reseal it with the lid after use. Do not reintroduce the spoon into the body scrub jar for best results. It is fine if this happens it will just start to get soggy and not last as long but it will still be lovely to use.
- After using the scrub, rinsing and drying off I sometimes follow up with lotion to help lock in the moisture. This is not necessary - just a suggestion. See note below for more tips and suggestions for best results.
* If you do not have Himalayan Pink Salt you can use any course salt or granulated sugar. I buy my Himalayan Pink Salt in bulk at Costco.
Do not use near eyes or on your forehead as the peppermint essential oil could sting your eyes. Do not use inside any body crevices. Do not use on the bottom of your feet unless you wipe immediately or you could slip in the shower. Just be careful. Use only on skin.
If using just on hands you don't have to be in the shower. You can just use it at the sink.
You can use any essential oil in this scrub. Peppermint gives it a lovely candy cane scent. It is personally my absolute favorite scent and always makes me feel so good when I smell it. You could also use lavender essential oil, eucalyptus, vanilla, orange, lemon or whatever essential oil scent you prefer!
I typically save lidded glass jars from jam, yogurt etc. and clean them out thoroughly. Once dry you can fill them with the scrub, decorate and gift it.
The mini candy canes in the photos are just for decoration. Do not actually insert them into the scrub when gifting it. You could gift them on the side.
Recently one of my readers shared these adorable mini wooden scoopers that they tied to the jar of gifted sugar scrub. They pair perfectly with the scrub.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Self Care