A rich and decadent three-layer homemade dark chocolate candy bar that is dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free and peanut-free. It starts with a sweet and crumbly cookie layer under a creamy almond butter layer that is topped with rich dark chocolate and flaky sea salt. This no-bake recipe comes together quickly and easily and can be stored in your freezer for whenever a candy bar craving hits.
Bottom Layer: Cookie Crust
- 2 boxes Bucks Natural Buckwheat Cookies: Chocolate Chip or Sugar Cookie variety
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Middle Layer: Creamy Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter*
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
Top Layer: Chocolate
- 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate mini chips (or use my Homemade Vegan Dark Chocolate [Refined Sugar-Free])
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
Garnish with flaky sea salt
For the bottom layer:
- In a food processor, process the cookies until fine (about 30 seconds). Add the coconut oil and process again until well combined. Transfer to an 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Spread into one compact even layer and place in freezer for 20 minutes.
For the middle layer:
- In a small saucepan over low heat add the almond butter, maple syrup and coconut oil. Whisk to combine and melt together. Once well incorporated, remove from burner and whisk in the vanilla and salt. Set aside until the first layer is finished setting in the freezer.
- Once the first layer has hardened in the freezer, pour the middle layer overtop. Use a mini spatula to spread the middle layer into one even layer. Return the baking pan to the freezer to set the middle layer (about 20 minutes).
For the top layer:
- Add 2 inches of water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Place a glass bowl overtop to create a double boiler. Add the chocolate and coconut and stir to melt and combine. Set aside until the middle layer has hardened. Once the middle layer has hardened, pour the melted chocolate overtop and lift and tilt the baking pan to spread the chocolate into one even layer. Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes to allow the top layer to harden.
- Remove the baking pan from the freezer and lift the bars out using the parchment paper. Place on a flat surface and allow to thaw for a couple minutes until you can easily cut through the bars with a knife. Cut into 12-14 small chocolate candy bars. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Serve immediately or return to the freezer in an airtight container lined with parchment paper for up to one month.
*Make sure your almond butter is runny and not hardened. I have found the flavor works better with raw almond butter instead of roasted almond butter. I buy mine at Trader Joe’s for $6/jar. It is unsweetened and unsalted. You can try to experiment with other nut or seed butters (even tahini!) but results may vary in terms of the flavor.
Prep time includes hands-on time only. Please allow enough time for each layer to fully harden in the freezer before adding the next layer.
The candy bars will start to soften at room temperature so they are best served straight from the freezer and enjoyed within a couple of minutes.
Keywords: homemade vegan and gluten-free chocolate candy bars