Fresh green beans, a creamy casserole, and perfectly crunchy topping all come together to make a traditional Healthier Green Bean Casserole!
- 1.5 pounds green beans, ends trimmed, cut into thirds (each piece should be about 1.5 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon fine salt (for blanching green beans)
- 2 tablespoons vegan soy-free butter
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- arrowroot slurry (1 tablespoon arrowroot powder whisked with 1 tablespoon filtered water)
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight (measures 2 cups when fully soaked). Learn more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post.
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 cup vegetable broth or "no-chicken" broth
- 2 cups Sprouts French Fried Onions (gluten-free, made with buckwheat)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a 5.5 quart dutch oven with water and bring to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the prepared green beans. Cook for 2 minutes. Drain and place blanched green beans in a large ice water bowl to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside to dry on a cloth. Set aside.
- Add butter, onions and salt to the dry dutch oven on medium heat. Saute for 2 minutes then add the garlic and dry seasonings (1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper ,1/4 ground nutmeg, pinch of cayenne). Next, add the diced mushrooms and cook on low heat until the mushrooms release their juices (7-10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Place cashews in a high speed blender along with 3/4 cups filtered water. Blend on the highest speed for one minute. Stop and scrape down the sides if needed. Set aside.
- Add the arrowroot slurry to the dutch oven and saute with the mushrooms for 1 minute.
- Add the cashew cream from the blender and then the vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the creamy mushroom sauce is ready you can combine everything in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. First, add the blanched green beans (make sure they are dry). Next, add 1 cup of the Sprouts French Fried Onions. Pour the creamy mushroom mixture overtop and stir to evenly coat. Top the casserole with the other cup of Sprouts French Fried Onions.
- Bake the casserole for 10 minutes. Serve immediately while hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to one week.
This dish is best when served immediately as the fried onions will start to get soggy overtime and the sauce will start to thicken once refrigerated. If you want to make it in advance you can blanch the green beans and make the cream sauce and store separately. You can then assemble and bake the casserole just before you plan to serve. You may need to thin out the sauce if you make it advance (you can use water or vegetable broth).
If you prefer more green beans than creamy mushroom sauce in your casserole you can use 2 pounds of green beans. It will still be delicious and just more veggie-forward. Either way is delicious.
If you prefer a thinner more soupy sauce, you can adjust the consistency of the sauce by thinning it out with water.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
Keywords: easy vegan green bean casserole