These Freezer-Friendly Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are the perfect vegan option for busy mornings! They're delicious enough to get even the most reluctant risers out of bed with a smile.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats (gluten free if desired)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup runny raw creamy almond butter (or cashew butter or sunflower seed butter)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (homemade is best!)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates (or unsweetened dried cranberries or raisins)
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (not coconut flakes)
- Optional add ins: chia seeds, dried apple, pepita seeds, ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two half sheet baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, hemp seeds, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice (if using), baking soda and salt. Add nut or seed butter of choice, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla and stir well to combine. Stir in the dried fruit, chocolate chips (if using), walnuts and unsweetened shredded coconut.
- If you want to add in any extras such as chia seeds, dried apples, pepita seeds or flaxseed do so now. Don't add more than 1/4 cup total of extras. You can also leave these items out and the recipe will still taste delicious.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the cookies into heaping 1.5 tablespoon-sized portions. Press each cookie down slightly as they will not expand much when cooked.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving the cookies to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely. Enjoy once fully cooled to room temperature or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can also freeze these cookies for up to three months (see notes below).
Freezing Instructions: Cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Or, move the frozen cookies straight from the freezer to the counter (room temperature) and enjoy after 35 minutes of thawing at room temperature.