This recipe for Easy Vegan Tikka Masala is an absolute show-stopper! It's better than takeout and filled with vegetables and plant-based protein. The thick and creamy sauce make it just right for pouring over coconut rice and it's mild enough that even my little kids enjoy it!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1, 18 oz jar (or can) crushed tomatoes
- 1, 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1, 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed and cut into florets, then chopped into very small pieces for fast cooking
Serve with: Coconut Rice, fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges
- Heat a 5.5 quart dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion and salt. Saute for 4 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Add garlic and all of the dry spices. Saute for 2 minutes until the spices are very fragrant.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, water, garbanzo beans and cauliflower florets and stir.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce to medium heat. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the cauliflower is fork tender.
- Serve hot over coconut rice and add a handful of fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges to each bowl. For a creamier consistency add my homemade cashew cream.
- Store leftovers (once fully cooled to room temperature) in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week. Store in your freezer for up to two months. If freezing, be sure to leave 1 inch of space at the top of the container for expansion.
For spicier tikka masala add a couple pinches of cayenne pepper. You can also add chili powder for more spicy flavor.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: vegan tikka masala