This is my favorite recipe for easy homemade cashew milk. You can flavor it with cinnamon, cocoa powder, vanilla or even almond extract. I lightly sweetened it with Medjool dates but you can also use maple syrup or maple sugar.
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked*
- 4 cups filtered water**
- 4 pitted dates, soaked (or sub 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup)***
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Add soaked cashews, water, dates (or maple syrup), vanilla extract (if using), cinnamon (if using) and salt to a high speed blender and blend on the highest speed for 1-2 minutes until milky and creamy. Taste and add more sweetener, vanilla or cinnamon if desired. Blend again to incorporate well.
- Transfer the milk to an airtight storage container and place in your refrigerator for up to four days (it will start to sour after day four). Enjoy well chilled. Shake before serving as the cashew milk will naturally separate after storing. This recipe yields five cups of milk. A half batch can be made if desired.
*To soak the cashews, place one cup of raw cashews in a container and cover with water. Let them soak in a covered container in your refrigerator for at least four hours or preferably overnight. Drain the soaking water and rinse the soaked cashews well before using. For a fast soaking method, soak in boiling water for 1-2 hours (the longer the better). Drain and rinse before using. Soaked cashews will measure more since they absorb the soaking water and swell once soaked. The recipe above uses measurements for the pre-soaked cashews. Learn more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post.
** For a creamier milk use less water. If making coffee creamer use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of raw cashews.
*** You can soak the dates with the cashews if desired. They can also be soaked overnight in the same covered container or you can use the fast soaking method and use boiling water for 1-2 hours (the longer the better). Drain and rinse before using.
For chocolate cashew milk add 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. I typically add more sweetener when I add cocoa powder (~2-3 tablespoons more of maple syrup or 1-2 extra dates).
- Prep Time: 3 mins
- Category: Drink
Keywords: homemade cashew milk