This is the easiest way to make a gluten-free Pizza Crust in your cast iron skillet! It has a fluffy texture and it's hearty enough to support all of your favorite pizza toppings. It's even vegan, yeast-free, and paleo as well! Pizza for all!
- 1/2 cup blanched super fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk (or any plant-based milk) or water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for cooking (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot starch, potato starch, baking powder, and salt to a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add almond milk (or water) and maple syrup and whisk again until incorporated and no clumps remain.
- Grease the cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil. Pour the pizza dough batter into the skillet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the stovetop and assemble the pizza. I love to simply add pizza sauce and Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. See blog post above for more fun pizza topping ideas. Caramelized Onions and Roasted Garlic are other favorite toppings of mine.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil overtop the entire pizza. Bake the pizza crust with fixings in the cast iron skillet for 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and cooked through. If using cheese it should be melted and slightly golden brown on top as well. Drizzle olive oil overtop the homemade mozzarella cheese for best results.
- Optional: Broil the pizza for 2 minutes before removing from oven.
- Optional post-oven pizza topping ideas: Top with dollops of pesto, drizzle of olive oil, fresh basil, vegan parm, and/or red pepper flakes. Slice and serve! Enjoy immediately.
If you use half the batter in the 8-inch pan it will be medium thickness (not thin crust or deep dish). The more batter you use and the small skillets will provide a more deep dish like quality. Adjust cooking times accordingly.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Entree
Keywords: homemade vegan gluten-free pizza crust