Cozy up in a hurry with this quick and easy dairy-free butternut squash soup recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes and only uses one pot! This simplified version uses just 9 ingredients and does not involve the oven. The result is a delicious and incredibly creamy soup that the whole family will love. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
1. Prepare the cashew cream if making homemade. Add soaked raw cashews, water and salt to a high-speed blender and blend for 1 minute, pausing after about 45 seconds to scrape down the sides. See my cashew cream post for additional information.
2. Dice the butternut squash into small cubes.
3. Sauté the shallot and garlic. Add olive oil, diced shallot, minced garlic, salt and pepper to a large pot and sauté for 10 minutes over low-to-medium heat until fragrant, translucent and slightly caramelized.
4. Add the diced butternut squash and cover with water.
5. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Blend the soup in a high-speed blender. Transfer soup to a high-speed blender and add cashew cream and maple syrup. Blend for approximately 1 minute.
7. Serve immediately. Garnish with a drizzle of additional cashew cream or top with roasted butternut squash seeds, pine nuts, pepitas and/or fresh herbs (optional).
For making ahead or leftovers: Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Save the seeds! Roast the seeds to use as a garnish or for a separate snack. To do so, dry the seeds completely and season with 1 tsp avocado oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp maple sugar. Then spread them onto a cast iron skillet and roast at 425˚F for 10 minutes. See the blog post above for more detailed instructions.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
Keywords: dairy-free butternut squash soup