The juicy sweet strawberries paired with the creamy avocado on a bed of greens with crunchiness throughout is just so satisfying. And when you pour the creamy strawberry dressing overtop you will want to dig right in. With a bit of forethought on the dressing and crispy quinoa during weekly meal prep it is quick and easy to make.
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 California avocado, sliced
- 2 handfuls fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups crispy quinoa* (see notes)
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pepita seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Garnishes: sprinkle of hemp seeds, minced chives and flaky sea salt
- Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- To a large salad bowl or platter add the greens. Layer on the avocado, strawberries, crispy quinoa, pepita seeds and green onions. Garnish with hemp seeds, chives and flaky salt and serve immediately with the Strawberry Vinaigrette.
- To make the Strawberry Vinaigrette, place all the ingredients in a blender and puree on high speed until smooth and creamy.
To make the crispy quinoa simply take already cooked quinoa (here is How to Make Perfectly Cooked Quinoa) and fluff with a fork to allow all the steam to escape. Next, heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick 12-inch skillet. Once the oil is hot, add 2 cups of quinoa to the pan and coat evenly with the oil. Form the quinoa into one layer across the entire pan. Press the quinoa down and allow the quinoa to cook untouched for 2-3 minutes before stirring. Stir well and make another thin layer of quinoa and cook untouched for 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning. You want to repeat this process of tossing then searing in a single flattened layer until the quinoa is golden brown and slightly crispy. I don’t like to cook it for too long or it becomes too crunchy. Before removing from the pan I sprinkle fine salt on top and stir. I like to serve the crispy quinoa warm over the salad.
If making this salad as a snack, I recommend making the crispy quinoa and dressing ahead of time. You can assemble one portion for yourself in a small bowl.
- Category: Salad