This is my secret to ultra-creamy oatmeal. Oatmeal provides a great base for cramming in lots of added nutrients. I love making this basic recipe and then adding different toppings to keep things interesting. Have fun designing your bowl and selecting your favorite toppings. This recipe makes one large serving or two smaller portions. You can bulk up your bowl with as many toppings as you want. I find sometimes less is more but you also want to make sure to get enough calories to keep you satisfied all morning long.
- 2.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice or filtered water)*
- 1 cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or more to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Topping Ideas: nut or seed butter, seasonal fruit, fresh berries, banana slices, pomegranate seeds, nuts, seeds, granola, chia jam, coconut cream, dried fruit, figs, chopped dates, splash of almond milk, more cinnamon or other spices such as ginger or allspice, more maple syrup, vegan butter, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs and/or Barlean’s Seriously Delicious™ Total Omega® Vegan Pomegranate Blueberry Smoothie**
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium to high heat. Add almond milk or liquid of choice and bring to a rolling boil. Add the oats and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring throughout. As the liquid gets absorbed turn the burner to a low simmer to avoid burning the oats (just for the last minute or two of cooking).
- Stop cooking once the oats are soft and almost all the liquid is absorbed. I like to leave some liquid for creaminess and moisture. I find the oats continue to absorb some of the liquid after cooking.
- Remove from burner and stir in maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon if using.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy while the oats are hot.
*I prefer to use almond milk but water will also work.
**Pictured toppings include fresh berries, pomegranate seeds, almond butter and Barlean’s Omega Swirl.
Facts about Barlean’s Seriously Delicious™ Total Omega® Vegan Pomegranate Blueberry Smoothie
– Three times more absorbable than regular flax & borage oils
– 2,968 mg ALA Omega-3, 400mg GLA & 130mg plant-based DHA per tablespoon
– Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan, Kosher
-No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners; no added sugar
- Category: Breakfast