This Vegan Lemon Orzo Soup is filled with veggies, fresh and bright flavor, gluten-free pasta, and vegan cashew cream. An instant fave!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 6 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 8 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup gluten-free orzo
- 1 batch cashew cream (about 1/2 cup cashew cream)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2-3 large handfuls baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, large stems removed, chopped (or sub fresh Italian flat leaf parsley)
- optional: add one 15 ounce can of white beans for added protein (such as navy beans), drained and rinsed
- optional garnishes: more fresh dill, thin lemon slices, lemon zest and/or reserved cashew cream drizzle
- Add olive oil to a 5.5 quart dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and salt and saute for five minutes over medium heat. Turn the heat to low and allow the onion to caramelize slightly while you prep the rest of the ingredients. You can leave it on low for up to 20 minutes if you have the time to let it really caramelize - just stir it every couple minutes to ensure even cooking.
- With the heat still on low add minced garlic. Saute for another three minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add carrots, celery, and seasonings (garlic powder, dried parsley, pepper and red pepper chili flakes) and saute for another 2 minutes. Add more oil if it seems dry.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Turn the burner to medium and add the orzo. Cook over medium heat until orzo is cooked through (about 20 minutes) stirring every couple of minutes to avoid the orzo from sticking to the bottom. Add white beans if using.
- Once the veggies are all fork tender and the orzo is cooked through, add the cashew cream, maple syrup and lemon juice. Stir well and serve while hot.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze for up to three months. If freezing allow 1-inch of space at the top of the airtight container for expansion.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: creamy vegan lemon orzo soup