This Creamy Vegan Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta is the perfect easy, flavorful summer meal. It's filled with bursty tomatoes, garlic, shallot, creamy cashew sauce and fresh basil. It tastes gourmet yet comes together quickly.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 5 large cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1.5 pounds cherry or grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta of choice, cooked according to package instructions*
- 1/2 cup vegan cashew cream
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water as needed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat on the stovetop. Add olive oil and once shimmering add the diced shallot, diced garlic, salt and red pepper chili flakes. Turn the burner to low heat and sauté for 5 minutes until shallots are translucent and fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and maple syrup. Sauté another minute.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes. Add them to the skillet and sauté for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta along with 1/2 cup cashew cream. Stir well to combine. Add the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce as needed. Garnish with fresh basil leaves just before serving. Serve while hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
The sauce will continue to absorb into the pasta as it sits, so to rehydrate it and make it creamy again add some of the pasta cooking water 1/4 cup at a time while the burner is on low heat.
* I love to use either Jovial brown rice gluten-free pasta or Andean Dreams quinoa pasta. You can find all my favorite gluten-free pantry staples linked here.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Creamy Vegan Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta