- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 4 large celery stalks, thinly diced
- 3 carrots, thinly diced
- 10 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1, (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup diced fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Preheat dutch oven over medium heat while you prep your ingredients. Add oil, onions and salt and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, garlic and garbanzo beans and saute for 7 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, turmeric, chili flakes and stir to evenly coat the ingredients with the ground spices.
- Add broth or stock and bring to a rolling boil. Cover with the lid slightly off-center to allow a little steam to escape. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop and the veggies to get tender. You can simmer for longer if desired but do not overcook the veggies.
- Serve while steamy hot garnished with the diced parsley.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months. If freezing, allow one inch of space at the top of the container for expansion. To thaw from frozen, place the container in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours to become liquid again. Then reheat on the stove.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan chicken soup