This Butternut Squash Coconut Orzo Soup is filled with satisfying orzo, colorful veggies, and a creamy coconut milk base.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seed removed and diced (carrots or sweet potato would also work well here) (about 2.5 cups diced)
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1, 13.5 ounce can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or sub filtered water)
- 4 ounces orzo (gluten-free if desired)
- optional: 1, 13.5 ounce can no salt added white beans (cannellini beans)
- 2 handfuls of greens (baby spinach or micro-arugula work well here)
- Heat oil in a 5-quart dutch oven over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers add the diced onion and salt (and dried thyme if using). Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn the burner to low-medium and add the garlic and pepper. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the diced butternut squash and diced red bell pepper. Saute another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a rolling boil. If you use water add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the soup.
- Add white beans if using. Then lower the heat to medium and add the orzo. Simmer on low heat until the orzo is soft (about 20 minutes).
- Add greens just before serving. They will wilt from the heat.
- If desired, garnish with a drizzle of coconut cream and a sprinkle of microgreens. Serve hot.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze for up to three months. If freezing, be sure to leave 1 inch of space at the top of the storage container for expansion.
Measuring Spoons [use code ELAINE-10 for 10% off]Buy Now →
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: butternut squash coconut orzo soup