This healthy and light salad is perfect for summertime and a fun spin on the typical ho-hum rice and beans combo. It is full of flavor AND plant-based protein, dietary fiber and healthy fats. It is easy to throw together and kid-friendly.
- 3 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango, diced (I prefer champagne/Ataúlfo mangos)
- 1/4 red onion (~3/4 cup), diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1 lime, juiced (or more if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well to incorporate the flavors.
- Enjoy immediately at room temperature or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. I recommend adding the avocado last minute if not serving right away (to prevent browning).
I cooked the brown rice in my Instant Pot. I used the rice setting and did two cycles. I followed the water to rice ratio in the manual and it worked perfectly. Alternatively you can prepare on your stovetop. Brown rice typically takes about 45 minutes on the stovetop. I recommend allowing the rice to cool to room temperature before adding the other ingredients.
I also cooked the black beans in my Instant Pot but you can certainly used canned black beans that are drained and rinsed. In the Instant Pot I used the water to dry, unsoaked black bean ratio and did one cycle on the "Beans" setting and again they came out perfect. They took about 25 minutes to cook.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cuisine: Mexican