This Creamy Beet Hummus is a classic recipe, but the addition of beets pairs makes it so good that you'll be going back for seconds!
- 1 small cooked beet, about 2.5 inches in diameter, peeled and ends trimmed*
- 1, 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup runny tahini
- 1 small juicy lemon, juiced (about 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed ice
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender. The beet should be cooked, peeled and cooled to room temperature. Blend from low to high speed until smooth and creamy. Add a little water to thin if. needed. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides with a mini spatula and re-blend.
- Serve immediately with pita, crostini, chips, raw veggies or on toast or in wraps.
- When serving as a dip I like to garnish with olive oil, microgreens and crispy chickpeas.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
*To cook my beets I typically do a couple at a time in my Instant Pot. I place the beets with the leaves removed and the skin on in the steamer basket with 2 cups water. Then I cook on manual high pressure for 18 minute (on sealed not venting). When it is finished cooking, press Off and manually release the pressure. Check that the beets are fork tender. If you have a large beet you might need to cook an additional five minutes. Once they are fork tender, allow the beets to cool before handling, then peel the skin off. Once the skin is off and the beet is at room temperature it is ready to use in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Side
Keywords: beet hummus recipe