These healthy donuts are gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar-free. They are easy to make and full of dietary fiber, heart healthy fats, plant based protein and whole grains.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease a donut pan with avocado oil or canola oil.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients using a whisk (oat flour, almond meal, chia seeds, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt). Add the wet ingredients (maple syrup, milk and vanilla) and whisk to combine. Immediately pour the mixture into the donut pan filling each cavity to the top.
- Bake for 26 minutes. Meanwhile prepare any donut toppings if desired (although the donuts are tasty on their own). In the photos I used melted chocolate and
- vegan cream cheese frosting. See notes for the recipe. You could also use my [url href="https://www.eatingbyelaine.com/2016/12/15/vegan-vanilla-frosting/" target="_blank"]Vegan Vanilla Frosting[[/url]/b] recipe or simply powder sugar.
- Remove the donut pan from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully invert the pan onto a cooling rack to release the donuts. Allow to cool another 10 minutes.
- Optional: To decorate your donuts as shown in the photos, dip the top half of the donut into the melted chocolate and allow to set in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Prepare the vegan cream cheese frosting and place in a plastic bag with a tiny hole cut in the corner for piping the icing onto the donuts. Once the dark chocolate has set, pipe the frosting in a zig-zag pattern onto each donut. Allow to set in refrigerator if desired or enjoy immediately.
- Donuts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. If storing in the refrigerator you may want to sit them out at room temperature before enjoying.
To make the melted chocolate I microwaved 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon avocado oil in a wide bowl for 2 minutes. You can drizzle on top or dip the top of the donut in the melted chocolate directly once the donuts are completely cooled.
To make the vegan cream cheese frosting beat 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract using an electric mixer in a small bowl until smooth. Slowly add in 1/4 cup powdered sugar a bit at a time and beat until smooth. Add almond milk (or any non-dairy milk) 1 teaspoon at a time to thin as desired. I found I didn't need to add any milk when I made it. Beat after each addition. Place the icing in the bottom corner of a ziplock bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe the icing through the bag onto the donuts in a zig zag pattern.
This vegan cream cheese frosting recipe was inspired from the Oh She Glows app.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 26 mins
- Category: Dessert