Shaving fresh asparagus into ribbons creates a delicate and tasty base for this Asparagus Ribbon Salad! I’ve topped it with toasted, chopped nuts, a sprinkle of vegan cheese, and my go-to homemade dressing for an easy side dish that impresses every time.
- 2 pounds asparagus (thick spears are ideal)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts or sliced almonds, toasted, roughly chopped (or sub raw shelled hemp seeds if nut-free)
- 2 tablespoon grated vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or any vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place asparagus spear flat on a cutting board, and shave each spear into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler. For best results, hold down the woody end of the asparagus and start peeling about 1-inch from the bottom of the asparagus spear – this helps to avoid the woody fibrous part of the spear.
- Place the shaved asparagus in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mason jar shake together the dressing ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup of the dressing overtop the asparagus ribbons and toss well.
- Add nuts or hemps seeds and vegan Parmesan cheese. Toss again and taste. Adjust flavors if desired.
- Serve as is or over a bed of arugula.
- Category: Side
Keywords: Shaved Asparagus Salad