Apple butter is my favorite fall condiment. It is more than just for toast too! I love to serve apple butter on fall appetizer platters, spoon over pancakes, stir into oatmeal or yogurt and bake with it to add moisture and sweetness. Place it in a small mason jar for an adorable fall food gift or hostess gift.
- 3 pounds sweet red apples (about 8 small Fugi, Jazz, Pink Lady or Gala apples), cored and chopped
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples, cored and chopped
- 1 large Granny Smith apple (for tartness), cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on manual high pressure. Manually release the pressure.
- Allow to cool slightly and puree everything in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the puree into a medium sized pot and place on a low simmer for 30-45 minutes uncovered stirring occasionally to prevent burning. You want to reduce the puree until it thickens by boiling off the extra liquid. Make sure the stovetop is on the lowest setting to avoid splattering.
- Once the puree is thick you can transfer to a glass storage container and store in your refrigerator for up to two weeks. The apple butter will thicken overnight and the flavors may change slightly as it cools. Feel free to adjust to taste as needed. This makes a large batch. You can store in your freezer for up to one month.
apple corer [use code ELAINE-10 for 10% off]Buy Now →
I have read you can also cook the apple sauce down using the saute feature of your Instant Pot on low; however when I tested it this way it splattered for me and made a mess so I recommend the stovetop method even though it messes up another dish. The stovetop allows you to control the temperature better.
Servings vary depending on how long you cook it down for. The more you cook it down the thicker it will be!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 65
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Instant Pot and Blender and Stovetop
Keywords: homemade apple butter