We're taking your favorite candy and making it totally vegan, gluten-free, and without refined sugar. Vegan Peppermint Patties!
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked*
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (room temperature is best)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (not mint extract)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Place soaked, drained and rinsed cashews in a high speed blender along with the melted coconut oil, room temperature maple syrup and peppermint extract. Blend from low to highest speed gradually and then let the blend motor run on the highest speed for one minute until the mixture is perfectly smooth and creamy. Depending on your blender you may have to stop and scrape down the sides.
- Place a 30-36 count silicone candy mold on a large baking sheet so it is easy to move in and out of the freezer while the mixture is liquid. Carefully pour the mixture from the blender into the silicone candy molds (about 1.5 teaspoons per mold). Place the baking sheet/silicone candy mold in your freezer for 30-45 minutes until the peppermint discs are frozen solid and can easily be popped out of the mold. Freeze for longer if needed.
- If you do not have a silicone mold pour the mixture into a shallow freezer friendly dish and allow the mixture to set for an hour in your freezer. Then, use a 1/2 tablespoon to portion out the mixture and use your hands to shape it into small discs. This can get messy (from the warmth of your hands melting the candy) and you will need to work quickly but I have tested it this way and it can be done!
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in your microwave or use a double boiler method on the stovetop. Allow to cool slightly before dunking the peppermint discs.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once your peppermint discs are frozen solid and popped out of the mold, use two forks to gently dunk them in the melted chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drop off before placing the chocolate covered candy on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all candies are coated in chocolate. If you have extra chocolate transfer to an airtight glass container and store at room temperature and use the next time you need melted chocolate.
- Place the baking sheet with the candy in your freezer and allow to set for 10 minutes. Enjoy straight from the freezer. Once frozen solid you can consolidate the candy into a container and store in your freezer for up to six months. Or, you can wrap the candy individually in foil candy wrappers (links below) and wrap in candy wrappers (linked below). Store in the freezer until ready to enjoy.
vegan chocolate [ELAINE20 for 20% off]Buy Now →
* Soak the 1 cup of cashews overnight in filtered water in a sealed container in your refrigerator (at least 8 hours). Or, for a quick soak method soak in boiling hot water for an hour. When soaking is complete the cashews will swell as they absorb the water and should measure 1.5 cups once fully soaked. Once soaking is complete, drain the water and then rinse with fresh water. Then the soaked cashews are ready to be used in this recipe. Learn more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post.
This recipe is adapted from Oh She Glows.
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blender + Freezer
Keywords: vegan peppermint patty recipe