This easy, no-bake recipe is the perfect snack anytime of day. It is full of dietary fiber, plant-based protein and healthy fats.
- 1.5 cups old fashioned oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 cup brown rice crisp cereal
- ½ cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed (I use Barlean's Forti-Flax)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries, cherries or raisins (or sub mini vegan dark chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted, unsweetened creamy nut or seed butter (I like to use raw almond butter from Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup or pure maple syrup*
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line an 8 x 8 inch square pan with parchment paper (two layers in either direction to cover both sides of the pan).
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (oats, cereal, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, raisins or chocolate chips, sesame seeds, salt) and then add the wet ingredients (nut or seed butter, brown rice syrup or maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract).
- After mixing, transfer to the prepared baking dish and spread out to an even layer using a spatula or your wet fingers. If you have a pastry roller you can use that to press down firmly and achieve an even layer. I sometimes put a sheet of wax paper on top and roll a small glass on top to help flatten the mixture out evenly.
- Place in freezer for 1 hour..
- Slice into 10 even rectangular bars.
- To store, individually wrap them in portions of the parchment paper (tape to keep together). Store in the freezer and allow to thaw out for a couple minutes at room temperature before enjoying. As they unfreeze they will get softer so don't wait too long to enjoy.
* If you do not have brown rice syrup on hand you can use maple syrup. If you do use maple syrup, I recommend freezing for longer and enjoying them as soon as you remove them from the freezer. If you use the brown rice syrup you can let them stand at room temperature a bit longer which makes them great for travel and on-the-go.
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Category: Snack